- Council
- Events
- People & Families
- Places
- Bridges
- Cemeteries
- Churches
- Crematoria
- Houses - demolished
- Houses - heritage
- Pleasure Grounds
- Railway Stations
-
Schools
- Eastwood Public School
- Ermington Public School
- Gladesville Public School
- Holy Cross College
- Kent Road Public School
- Marist College Eastwood
- Marsden High School
- Marsfield Public School
- Meadowbank Public School
- Melrose Park Public School
- North Ryde Public School
- Putney Public School
- Ryde East Public School
- Ryde Public School
- St Charles Catholic Primary School
- Shipyards
- Shopping Centres
- Suburbs
- Stories of Ryde
- Chinese Market Gardeners
- Cinemas of the 20s and 30s
- City of Ryde Libraries: a history
- First Nations History of Ryde
- Historic Figures
- Italian Market Gardeners
- Princes Regent Swimming Club
- Ryde and it's suburbs : a history
- Ryde: a visual history
- Ryde's Coat of Arms
- Slazengers Shipyard
- The Hermitage
- The Ryde Bicentenary quilt, 1992
- Timelines
Menu
- Council
- Events
- People & Families
- Places
- Bridges
- Cemeteries
- Churches
- Crematoria
- Houses - demolished
- Houses - heritage
- Pleasure Grounds
- Railway Stations
-
Schools
- Eastwood Public School
- Ermington Public School
- Gladesville Public School
- Holy Cross College
- Kent Road Public School
- Marist College Eastwood
- Marsden High School
- Marsfield Public School
- Meadowbank Public School
- Melrose Park Public School
- North Ryde Public School
- Putney Public School
- Ryde East Public School
- Ryde Public School
- St Charles Catholic Primary School
- Shipyards
- Shopping Centres
- Suburbs
- Stories of Ryde
- Chinese Market Gardeners
- Cinemas of the 20s and 30s
- City of Ryde Libraries: a history
- First Nations History of Ryde
- Historic Figures
- Italian Market Gardeners
- Princes Regent Swimming Club
- Ryde and it's suburbs : a history
- Ryde: a visual history
- Ryde's Coat of Arms
- Slazengers Shipyard
- The Hermitage
- The Ryde Bicentenary quilt, 1992
- Timelines
Ryde Park
Originally part of a 20-hectare grant in 1792 to Richard Hawke who arrived on the Alexander, the land was still held by Richard and his wife at the time of his death in 1828. It then became known as Salter's Paddock in Ryde Park, which was opened in 1908 and extended in 1925. Facilities included grounds for lawn bowls, football, tennis, cricket and hockey, and it was the venue for exhibitions such as the Poultry and Canine Societies' Shows in 1922, as well as the Gladesville Horticultural Society Show in 1932.
In the 1880s, the hockey field in Ryde Park was the site of one of many local brickworks. A deep quarry was excavated in Ashfield Shale for The Ryde Brickworks Ltd., owned by Andrew Ellis. The business closed in 1923, and Council purchased the flooded quarry to extend the park. The pit was filled with municipal garbage, much to the annoyance of neighbours.
A popular sports destination in a garden setting, Ryde Park has recently been upgraded and features a new playground, with a basketball court and cafe adjacent. It is suitable for events and hosts a number of major Council events including Community Christmas celebrations.



